Feeding drama 😰

When I started weaning my baby I was anxious like most first time mums.  I was excited and scared all at once.  Well, I got to know that my fears were not irrational on our third day of weaning.  I had tried a single grain porridge to start with and he was receptive to the new food.  You should have seen how happy I was.  On day three I decided to try a fruit, a papaya to be precise.  My baby vomited all over.  I was in shock. On asking my elder sister about it she said not to worry and to go ahead and try another fruit the next day.  Very cautiously I tried a small piece of watermelon and he projectile vomited on me again. This went on for three days of attempting different fruits.  I decided to shelf fruits and try other foods.

  I had already established that my baby was having a dairy, wheat and nuts allergy so as I introduced new foods I steered clear of those. I went into depression as I realized that our son was feeding poorly and vomiting most of his foods.  It was frustrating and stressful for me.  I was concerned that my baby was going to lose weight and get sick. We consulted a nutritionist and a pediatrician. None of them gave us the answers we were looking for.  I had a lot of support from family and slowly I decided to read, research and observe my child's feeding habits.  It was then I was able to pinpoint he hated natural sugars in food.   Any food containing fructose caused him to gag and vomit. I got myself a notebook where I kept track of foods he ate well and those he couldn't keep in his system or even swallow

  It was not easy especially when people even close to me kept remarking at how much smaller my son was in comparison to his age mates.  Someone encouraged me by pinpointing that my baby wasn't losing weight, he was just gaining slowly. I picked myself up and came up with a balanced diet my child was able to eat and enjoy.  I then blocked out any negative comments about his size.  Heck, his parents are lean so genetically he is very likely to be like us.  Today my baby and I are happy and enjoying each day as it comes.  Hang in there, mama. Trust your gut, research and where you are in doubt see a doctor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did they tell you this about postpartum depression.

Terrific Two.

Breastfeeding journey