TIP TIME


We are all different, every pregnancy is different and what works for you doesn't always work for me. what worked in a prior pregnancy may not necessarily work in the next one  I am not an expert on matters motherhood, I want to share what worked for me at different points of pregnancy and after. It may work for you too.





STRETCHMARKS



yap! You heard me right! stretch marks scare a lot of women which shouldn't be the case. During pregnancy, your skin will stretch due to weight gain and growing belly. My skin felt perpetually dry and normal lotions were not quite doing it for me, therefore I decided to use coconut oil. I would slather plenty on my body after a bath( even at night when my skin felt dry I would just apply some more) as result my skin was moisturized all the time leaving no room for the skin stretching without moisture which is what makes the stretch marks obvious. Having said that, I need to remind you that genetics also play a role in how obvious the stretch marks will be. If your mother had them, chances are you will get them. That is not an excuse not to moisturize your skin. Your body will thank you later. I recommend the use of organic oils to stay moisturized from the minute you discover you are pregnant to post pregnancy. find what works for you in terms of scent and deep moisturizing ability. there is nothing wrong with stretch marks don't get obsessed with preventing them. I also drank plenty of water and natural fruit juice. I have stretch marks but you can hardly see them you would have to look really hard :-)



WEIGHT GAIN



I continue to lay emphasis on the fact that our bodies are different. We all gain weight at different rates and during pregnancy that doesn't change. I ate what I craved ( when I actually had any cravings) however I remembered what someone had mentioned earlier to me. I ate plenty of fruits and raw vegetables. ( I sometimes put boiled eggs or small pieces of chicken in my salads). I walked plenty too from the word go I was afraid of getting into my last trimester and feel too lazy to walk. If your health is sound please walk as much as you can in the right type of shoes. careful not to push yourself too hard. I also danced a lot in the house. I did Zumba for pregnant women. ( I love dancing and I was afraid of overdoing it. ) take slowly. 10 mins every day is good enough. I did squat exercises every single day 20 per day (not all at once sometimes. sometimes I did them in fives spread throughout the day. ) This was not so I don't gain weight. It was so I don't gain an unhealthy amount of weight which could be harmful to my baby and also that I wouldn't struggle to lose it afterward.

That notion you are eating for two post pregnancy is not entirely true and you shouldn't dwell on it. you are however drinking for two. your fluid intake should be high especially if you plan on breastfeeding. Eat enough for one or better yet eat several small portions spread out throughout the day.



HAEMORRHOIDS.&CONSTIPATION



OUCH! If you have been pregnant you absolutely know what I am talking about if you haven't experienced it then you are darn lucky! I had some nasty hemorrhoids caused by sitting too much when I was expectant two days later I got constipated! this was a pain on another level. I was advised by my sister to take a spoonful of coconut oil daily to relieve constipation which is common during pregnancy. (coconut oil is safe for baby and you if you were not previously allergic) for hemorrhoids I used witch hazel that was alcohol-free, it stung like crazy but it healed me up pretty good.stock up on coconut oil, witch hazel(I sometimes used zinc & castor oil for baby's nappy rash)and stay hydrated. Remember don't sit for long periods, walk around the house a bit.



NAUSEA AND HEARTBURN

You will read and hear of several remedies for nausea during pregnancy, pick the one that best works for you. I ate raw carrots when it struck, sometimes I ate sugarless tea biscuits or chewed on ginger. I love spicy foods and it was a challenge to stay away from them so I battled with heartburn a lot. Don't buy an over the counter antacid, get your doctor to give you a prescription. 



HONEY

I used honey on my hair and for flu (avoiding medication unless prescribed by a doctor during pregnancy is best) drinking a cup of honey water at least two times a week kept flu away for me. honey is great but here is the thing nobody tells you: honey is harmful to babies under one year old. please keep it away and let everyone in your household know that they shouldn't feed the baby any honey until your baby is one year old. ( Honey can contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which can germinate in a baby's immature digestive system and cause infant botulism, a rare but potentially fatal illness)



MANI PEDI

Self-love is very important for baby and you. If you are relaxed and you feeling good about yourself, your unborn baby thrives in a healthy and happy environment. Do regular manicures and pedicures until the end. Your body will enjoy the TLC and after delivery, you won't get around much for a while. careful with the facials though your skin is sensitive during pregnancy. Avoid gel polish as the UV rays are not good for you and your unborn child. If you can, let your nails stay bare most of the time.

BREASTFEEDING

This is no walk in the park. I went into shock about breastfeeding, my nipples cracked, my baby couldn't latch properly, I got engorged breast, I was traumatized, to say the least. (a story for another day) I picked up a few handy lessons through this experience. Ask for help on the proper way to hold your baby to ease latching, encourage your baby to feed as much as possible (babies are very sleepy in their early days). If you are lucky to have a good amount of milk, I would advise you to express it, especially if your baby is a poor feeder to avoid engorged breast. however, if the baby is breastfeeding well, there is no need to express. If you are a c-section mom please stay away from porridge soon after delivery. It doesn't aid in your quick and safe recovery and in some cases in triggers the high production of milk (I don't know if it scientific or not). In case you have the ill luck of cracked nipples use a nipple cream. apply after feeds and wipe it off using a clean cloth right before feeding the baby.

Some women have no troubles breastfeeding while others do, they are all good mothers. Don't give up on breastfeeding if you experience any difficulty. It is a great way to bond with your baby, it is healthy and safe for your baby and it is ready for food. For moms who express, keep it frozen and label your containers with dates. Use them on a first in first out basis.use a food warmer to heat up the milk or use a large cup and fill it up with hot water then immerse the container that has milk. Keep checking the temperature to avoid it getting too hot. Use the inside of your arm to test if it is the right temperature.

Your wardrobe will also change for as long as you choose to breastfeed(at least 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding is recommended )you will need clothes that allow you to breastfeed with ease. (opening at the front). nursing bras are also very important since they are designed specifically for nursing. (I love those with padding and are also seamless)

Research further on the things that caught your attention on this post before you try it on yourself. It worked for me that's not a guarantee it will work on you. Keep in mind we are different and always make an informed choice.
I will write more post with various tips as the days move along so keep it tuned to mumboxHQ

Comments

  1. taking notes for some years to come.. it all sounds exciting ,horrifying and amazing in an epic way all at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good girl ;-) .Keep it tuned dear. Thanks for all the support. you are awesome.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Did they tell you this about postpartum depression.

Terrific Two.

Breastfeeding journey