Co-sleeping


The part where you bring your baby home from the hospital can be overwhelming or nerve wrecking for most new moms. I found myself nervous when I came from home as I had not planned for a c-section and I did not know if the baby should sleep with us or his crib. I decided to go on with my plan and sleep with him in our bed as I had earlier planned. For me, it was the best decision at that point. Nursing my baby was easier, I did plenty of skin to skin with him, bonding and I had peace of mind because I could easily get to him when he needed me. co-sleeping is a topic that brings out a mix of emotions as different parents have different views. I am giving my view which is not meant to belittle any other parents' view. we bought him a crib long before he was born but we agreed that he would start out in our bed before moving into the crib. I want to highlight what I viewed as benefits of co-sleeping. 

  • REGULATING BREATHING- Research has indicated that newborn babies have a 15-20 seconds pause between breathing while sleeping (my aunt referred to it as baby forgetting to breathe). However, the carbon monoxide you exhale stimulates your baby when you co-sleep.
  • COMFORT-We took turns to just hold our baby laying on our chests. He relaxed almost instantly and easily fell asleep. 
  • INDEPENDENCE-Babies who co-sleep with their parent/s, tend to be satisfied are generally less demanding. This is because they are constantly reassured of love and support. 
  • TEMP REGULATION-Skin to skin works wonders on fever in my experience. It is a safe way to bring the temperature down. overheating is associated with cot death.
  • SAFETY-I know you are wondering how safe it is to sleep with your baby without the risk of smothering him accidentally. Well, you can get a portable baby nest to be sure you don't harm your child(it is highly unlikely though. ). You are able to attend to a child who is suffocating promptly. I always woke up to check if my baby is breathing only to find his father beat me to it. 
  • BREASTFEEDING-You are able to breastfeed on demand. 
  • Anxiety- Separation can bring out anxiety in both the baby and the parents. having the baby in your bed brings down that anxiety and it is easier to sleep. 
  • BONDING-It is a great way to bond with the baby as you may be a working mom who needs to spend more time with your baby. co-sleeping provides a closeness for you and your baby. 
If you do decide to co-sleep, ensure your bedding are clean and changed at least every two days. Avoid using perfumed detergents or wearing strong scents to bed as you could cause your baby to have allergic reactions. We have successfully been co-sleeping and we are currently transiting to the crib. All the best as you decide if you want to co-sleep or not. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did they tell you this about postpartum depression.

Terrific Two.

Breastfeeding journey